Friday, August 8, 2008




A friend invited us to go out on their boat Tuesday. The kids were so excited as it was their first time on a small private boat on the intercoastal. (I know kind of silly when we live in Florida. I really don’t care for boats as I do not know how to swim and didn’t feel comfortable being responsible for the safety of my children. But now, many swim lessons later, both of my children swim better than I probably ever will. I trust they would save me if anything were to happen. ;-) )

My friend had 2 young visitors from Chicago; ages 6 and 10. It was the 6 y.o.’s first time to Florida. There is nothing like the excitement in a child’s eye as they experience something new.

D.P. was able to captain the boat. Did I mention we also call him “Fire Marshall D.P.”? He was very concerned about where everyone was seated, the speed of the boat, and eye protection (as you can tell from the fact that he is wearing his goggles.)

D.A. even had a chance to steer. Her boating skills are no different from her biking skills—she is more interested in what she sees around her than where she is going. Then she kicked back in the chair proclaiming “this is the life!”

The boat was anchored so the kids could get out and swim. They enjoyed the water and tried to catch fish with a net. Unfortunately, the fish are much faster.

Our boating fun was cut short as thunderstorms rolled in.

I asked my kids what was the most exciting part about their day to which they both exclaimed “playing with your friend’s dog”. She has a very playful boxer with many favorite doggie toys. Maybe it’s time to consider adopting a family pet…

No comments: