Sunday, December 21, 2008

I spent the day with my dad.

Not my dad that has cared for me the past 38 years. Or the dad that supported me, rescued me or even frustrated me over the past 38 years. No--today I spent the day with my birth father. The man I only met 2 years ago.

He drove to Florida to visit for a few days before heading out to spend Christmas with his daughter. My half-sister whom I have not yet met. I can’t even begin to explain how this feels. I am numb. Full of a flurry of questions and feelings and confusion. Excited to once again meet the man that is ½ of the reason I exist on this earth. Sad because I still miss my mom who was battling glialblastoma this very same time last year. She would have jumped 10 foot hurtles to spend Christmas with my birth father. Proud to watch my dad handle this very awkward situation on his own without Mom to support and guide him. My kids have enjoyed spending time with my birth father thus far. He is easy to talk to and listens to what you have to say. He is active and interested in getting to know them. It is awesome to hear their questions as they try to understand my situation.

I am glad that he decided to visit with us this Christmas. It is almost as though Mom brought him here to take my mind away from the misery that could have my first Christmas without her.




Some more pics from our adventures today...



No comments: