Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Bitter is the New Black", by Jen Lancaster

Although highly recommended by a good friend and her book club, I was very hesitant to read this “chick-lit” book. Then I was hooked after the first page. The author, Jen Lancaster, writes in first person (very blog-like) inviting the reader into her life after she’s been fired from a lucrative career. I could not help but fall in love with Jen and her refreshing honesty, and often highly sarcastic, views about herself, relationships and life. While I found myself disagreeing with her self-indulgence and sometimes cringing at her narcissitic tendancies, I find that her self-confidence and eventual metamorphosis is encouraging. The memoir follows Jen in her desperate search for employment in a post-September 11th market. She emerges stronger and more self-aware as she discovers a new career as an author.

I simply loved this book and now can't wait to read Jen Lancaster's other books!

No comments: